Assistant Garden Director
UCLA seeks to appoint an Assistant Garden Director to oversee day-to-day operations of the gardens and supports MEMBG’s mission and vision by curating and maintaining MEMBG’s living collections, gardens and landscapes to high professional standards. Incumbent is to assume responsibilities typically assigned to a Director of Horticulture by leading a team of horticultural professionals, seasonal gardeners and volunteers responsible for the curation, design and maintenance of the 7.5 acres of gardens. As part of the leadership team, this person will bring vision the Garden’s mission.
The Assistant Director works with Director and collaborates with other senior MEMBG senior staff to; (1) develop and oversee the horticultural plan for Mildred E. Mathias Botanical Garden (MEMBG); (2) administer and curate the diverse collection of gardens and plant collections that make up the MEMBG and the UCLA Herbarium; (3) coordinate the activities of the garden staff of four individuals; (4) update and maintain database collection records digitally both the Garden and voucher garden specimens in Herbarium; (5) manage the volunteer gardening program and offer horticultural workshops to train volunteers.
The Assistant Director provides support to the Director to seek funding to expand the programs and collections of MEMBG, and work with faculty and staff to expand and improve the teaching, research, and extension missions of the Botanical Garden. The ideal candidate will have the following qualifications:
• Bachelor and/or Master’s Degree preferred, particularly in horticulture, botany, landscape design or garden management or a related relevant area of study, and six (6 years) of experience in horticultural work, including two (2) or more years in a supervisory capacity; or an equivalent combination of education and experience in public gardens.
• Strong computer skills and knowledge of database management for garden acquisitions and collection database.
• Detailed understanding of horticultural practices for the maintenance and propagation of garden landscape and nursery and plants and extensive knowledge of rare and exotic specialty plants.
• Practical and current knowledge of plant pests and diseases and their control – preventive, natural and chemical (regulations and use).
• Ability to coordinate, prioritize and direct the efforts of staff, garden volunteers, and students with range of educational backgrounds, and skills sets
• Experience and commitment to creating an inclusive environment that promotes diversity of visitors, participation in public programs, and staff.
This person is ideal for someone with public garden experience who enjoys the environment of an academic setting. Salary is commensurate with qualifications and experience. Applicants are encouraged to submit a cover letter that describes experience and vision for this position and highlights details with respect to qualifications above. Review of applications will begin immediately with a projected starting date ideally in March, but negotiable
If interested, please see the job posting at https://hr.mycareer.ucla.edu and apply to Job Requisition #32006 If you have questions about the position, please email Garden Director Dr. Victoria Sork at email@example.com.
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age or protected veteran status. For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy see: UC Nondiscrimination and Affirmative Action Policy (http://policy.ucop.edu/doc/4000376/NondiscrimAffirmAct).